Monday, May 16, 2011

Blitz in the Park

Recently, I went to the park (Marcus Garvey Park to be precise) to play some blitz games with the guys I've known in the park for nearly a decade. Once upon a time, I would lose game after game after game. That's how you get better, by playing and learning from your mistakes. Since I never had a coach, I would always play as much as I could in public parks to get playing experience. Over the years, I have come to truly appreciate what the guys in the park have meant to my development not only in chess, but as a person. When I was young, they looked out for me and made sure I was on my way. When I got older (I say that like I'm an old man!) they showed me I had a lot to learn. What can I say, thanks guys!
So what are we looking at in the picture? You're looking at a form of chess called blitz. Blitz is basically chess with a clock (or timer). Normally, players have 5 minutes each on their clock, so one has to calculate far faster usual. Purists say that blitz is bad for your overall chess strength. They say that if you play blitz on a consistent basis, it affects your chess in real games (at longer time controls). However, since I haven't played too much of late, I think blitz keeps me sharp. I can play blitz in the park all day... Well till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment